If you’re thinking of getting into WordPress plugin development, I suggest reading this article on webdesigner depot. It gives you a basic idea on creating the directory structure and adding in your first snippets of code.
The plugin includes the following code samples:
- defining custom post types and taxonomies
- creating admin pages
- sample code of the Settings API implementation for admin pages
- registration of activate/deactivate hooks
- adding metaboxes on pages
- creating sample shortcode
- creating sample widget
- adding frontend styles/scripts the right way
- adding admin styles/scripts the right way
- defining common constants for further use
It is important however, that you don’t take the entire plugin and add in all your pieces of code. Use the code as a base for your to learn the code, but add your own style and touches to the plugin.