Traditionally, Apple has been a little wayward or lagging behind in the video dimension of multimedia. The video recording capability was added to the iPhone just recently (iPhone 3GS, iPod nano fifth generation) and the iPad still does not have a camera to record a video or shoot snaps. However, with iPhone 4, Apple took a leap ahead in this direction when at WWDC 2010; Steve Jobs announced that iMovies app for iPhone would be available to users for all their video related needs. And now, the iMovies app is available at the App Store for $4.99.
The iMovies app lets users of iPhone utilize the full power of its HD camera. It enables users to record 720p HD movies from their iPhone 4, and also do some great video editing right on their smartphone before exporting it to their PCs. iMovies allows users to edit the videos they’ve recorded at different times, without needing to complete editing the first one before starting the second video. Support for Youtube video uploading direct from the iPhone is also added and forwarding to friends and family members via MMS is also available as an option. The iMovies app comes with multi-language support and requires iOS 4.0 or later to be running on the iPhone.
The complete features and highlights of iMovies, as advertised by Apple are:
- Tap to add or record video right into your project.
- Drag to trim the lengths of video clips and photos.
- Pinch to zoom the timeline and get a closer look.
- Slide to scrub through the video in your project.
- Choose from a selection of themes including Modern, Bright, Travel, Playful, and News.
- Each theme includes a matching set of titles and transitions – plus its own soundtrack.
- Instantly change themes or swap themed elements in your project.
- Titles and graphics automatically update with location data from your video.
- Select from included music that matches each iMovie theme, or select from your own song library.
- Enable ducking to automatically lower the volume of background music and highlight audio from video clips.
- Add photos from your own library, or take a picture and drop it into your project.
- Customize each photo with a unique “Ken Burns” panning effect.
- Export your movie in one of three sizes: Medium, Large, or HD.
- Share your movie on the web in a MobileMe gallery or on YouTube.
- Send your movie to friends and family in an email or via an MMS message.
- Easily sync your movie back to your computer.
The iMovies app can be downloaded via iTunes at this link.