One of the newest features of iPhone 4 highlighted by Steve Jobs at WWDC 2010 was the support for iBooks. Originally designed for the iPad, the iBooks app lets people read their favorite e-Books in an exciting new way. Now, Apple has made available the iBooks app for download on its App Store for iPhone users. This app is for the iPhone and the iPod Touch which are running iOS 4, Apple’s latest smartphone operating system.
iBooks gives user the ability to download and read books on their iPhone and/or iPod Touch just like the iPad. Also, if a user has downloaded a book using iPad from iBook Store, they can download the same book for free for their iPhone or iPod Touch. The new iBook app also gives user the ability to wirelessly synchronize and update all their notes and bookmarks on all the devices they possess which have iBooks running on them, be it iPad, iPhone or the iPod Touch.
The official description of the new iBooks app from the iTunes is as follows:
iBooks is an amazing way to download and read books, designed exclusively for iPad. iBooks includes the iBookstore, where you can download the latest best-selling books or your favorite classics – day or night. Browse your library on a beautiful bookshelf, tap a book to open it, flip through pages with a swipe or a tap, and bookmark your favorite passages.
- Enjoy a complimentary copy of the beautifully illustrated classic, Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne.
- Download many of your favorite books from the included iBookstore.
- Read a free sample of any book on the iBookstore before making it part of your collection.
- Reorder your books on your bookshelf or browse them in a list sorted by title, author, or category.
- Easily adjust your screen brightness to find the perfect lighting for any environment.
- Change the font size and pick from five included type faces to make your books more comfortable to read.
- Find a word, character, or phrase anywhere in your book with the built-in search feature.
- Quickly find a specific page using the page navigator at the bottom of every page.
- Highlight your favorite passages with the built-in bookmarking feature.
- Add books in the industry-standard ePub electronic book format to iTunes and sync them to iPad.
- iBooks supports amazing accessibility features in iPad, such as speaking the words on a given page.
- You must own an iPad to use iBooks.
- The iBookstore is only available to customers in the United States.
- An iTunes Store account is required to download from the iBookstore.
- iBooks only supports books published in the ePub electronic book format.
- To add ePub documents from outside the iBookstore to iBooks, they must be DRM-free and synced to iPad using iTunes 9.1 or later.
The new features added in iBooks v1.1 are:
In addition to iPad, iBooks is now available on any iPhone or iPod with iOS 4.
Open and read PDF documents from Mail. PDF documents will be added to your library and appear on the PDF bookshelf. You can even search PDFs for words or phrases and bookmark your favorite pages.
iBooks app is available for a free download for the iPad, iPhone and the iPod Touch running iOS 4 via this link.