So we’re already at the end of the first quarter of 2009 and things haven’t been so great on the economic front. However, for you chip-heads out there who love their videogames and can’t wait to get your hands on something new to play, there is good news.
There are quite a few video games that will be releasing in 2009 and I’m going to list the top 5 games that I am looking forward to. These are games that I’ve been waiting for since the day they were announced. In fact, I’ve already started saving up to actually go and buy some of them.
So, without further adieu, here’s the list:
- Starcraft II: This has to be one of the most highly anticipated games of 2009, if not of this decade. The sequal to Starcraft, which by the way is still one of the most popular games in the world, is looking like it’s going to quite literally be as awesome as it’s being hyped up to be.
This is going to be a little different from Starcraft and I’m not talking just about the looks either. Blizzard has said they will release 2 expansions for this game, each focusing on a particular race. The game is still an RTS, but the mechanics have changed just a little bit. According to Blizzard, they’ve been “re-imagined”.
- God of War III: Good God! Kratos is back.. If you’ve played GOW (God of War) I and II, then you don’t really need me to tell you why this game should be on your list of games to definitely get in 2009. But just for those who have not been fortunate enough to get their hands on the previous version let me spell it out for you. The GoW series is one of the most bad-ass that you will ever come across. If you are into any kinda of RPG games, this one takes the cake. Not only are the graphics mind blowing, but so is the game play. And for all those out there who love a good story, this game’s got that too.
- Bioshock 2 : I played Bioshock and I really really liked the game. I can only expect this game to be better. A lot more will be released about this game in the coming months, but from what I’ve seen (trailer) I’m pretty sure that I’m going to love this game as well.
- Call of Duty – Modern Warfare 2 : I’m quite a fan of the COD series. I had minor issues with 2 and 3, but all in all the series has not disappointed. The Single player campaign is quite entertaining and pretty good for a one time complete, but the COD Multi-player is the most fun. Activision Blizzard has confirmed the release of COD 6 or Modern Warfare 2, as it’s known, for later on this year. If you don’t already have it on your must buy list, you should seriously consider it.
Splinter Cell: Conviction : There has been much debate as to when this game is going to be released, but one hopes that it will finally be released this year. After having played Pandora Tomorrow and Double Agent, it’s only fair that I give Conviction a try. I really enjoyed Double Agent, and I played it on a computer that barely managed to run it. Now that I’ve upgraded I’m all set to help Sam Fisher do whatever he needs to, at at least 60FPS! I’m quite looking forward to the game.
So there you have it. My top 5 games to look forward to this year.
Oh, I’m not done yet. There are a couple of other games that are either already out or will be out shortly that need to be mentioned as well.
- Tekken 6 : Don’t tell me you don’t want to play Tekken!
- Fear 2 – Project Origins : I haven’t gotten my hands on the full version yet, but boy oh boy was the trial a nice treat. Hoping to get my hands on this one soon.
- Resident Evil 5 : Who doesn’t like shooting Zombies. The PC version of this game should be out later this year, but until then, I’m sure you can make friends with someone who has a PS3.
- Halo 3 – ODST : Another Halo game. Definitely worth giving a go. I havn’t played it yet, and probably wont bother with it until I’ve tried Fear 2 and until I finish Prince of Persia on my new comp (Yes, old game, but I’m a BIG fan.) But since it’s a Halo game it deserves a mention.
- Duke Nukem Forever : All I know is that this game is going to be badass. I’ve been waiting for this game for a while now and I can’t wait for them to finally release it. This game was probably the reason why people started blaming games for why kids are so violent. Too bad they never played it themselves.
Right! So if there are any games that you’re particularly looking forward do let us know. Also, if you do manage to get your hands on any new games this year, let us know what you think.