Normally, we delete our files and empty the recycle bin but that procedure doesn’t remove those files permanently. The traces are still there and can be recovered easily by using related applications. This can become a problem if you are using a computer with more than 1 user and your important files (which may include passwords, personal information, classified documents etc)Â can be at stake.
Eraser is a nice free application that deletes all traces of your deleted files and completely remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns.
- Works with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP (32/64),Vista (32/64), Windows Server 2003 and DOS. It works with any drive including IDE, SCSI and RAID, and CD-RW’s.
- Uses the Guttmann (Default), Pseudorandom Data and US DoD 5220-22.M methods.
- Erases Files and Folders.
- Erases Files/Folders that were only previously ‘deleted’.
- Erases all hard drives using ‘Darik’s Boot and Nuke’ method.
- Erases Index.dat on Reboot
- Erases Encrypted Files and Drives.
- Erases FreeSpace on 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and DOS.
- Erases contents of the Recycle Bin.
- Erases Compressed Files and Drives.
- Erases Network Files, Floppy Disks, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW.
- Erases Windows Temporary Files.
- Erases Internet Cookies.
- Erases Paging (swap) file.
- Erases Internet Cache.
- Appears as an ‘Erase’ option on the Context Menu of Windows Explorer and Recycle Bin.
- Comes with an Eraser Scheduler that allows you to create user-defined tasks.
- Defeats File Recovery software applications Hardware tools.
- Supports FAT32 and NTFS Files Systems.
- Eraser is easy to use and comes with a dedicated support network.