Apple has started rolling out iOS 6 globally. This is a major upgrade to their existing iOS platform which follows on the heels of the iPhone pre-ordering.
iOS 6 is free and easy to upgrade wirelessly on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
iOS 6 add several new features including:
- Designed by Apple from the ground up, Maps gives you turn-by-turn spoken directions, interactive 3D views, and the stunning Flyover feature, will lets you see select major metro areas from the air with photo-realistic, interactive 3D views
- With iOS 6, Siri understands more languages and works in more countries. Ask Siri to do things just by talking the way you talk
- iOS 6 fully integrates Facebook in addition to Twitter. Share a photo to Facebook right from Camera or Photos or from most other apps
- iOS 6 makes it easier to share photos with your friends. Choose who you want to share your photos and send. If their not on iOS, they can view it on the web
- Passbook lets you scan your iPhone or iPod touch to check in for a flight, get into a movie, and redeem a coupon
- FaceTime now works over cellular networks as well as Wi-Fi, so you can make and receive FaceTime calls wherever you happen to be
- iOS 6 adds new calling features to your iPhone. Now when you decline an incoming call, you can instantly reply with a text message or set a callback reminder
- Redesigned with a more streamlined interface for easier reading and writing, Mail in iOS 6 lets you set up a VIP list so you’ll never miss an important message
- iCloud Tabs in Safari keeps track of which pages you have open on your devices, so you can start browsing on one device and pick up right where you left off, on whatever device is handy
- iOS 6 comes with Guided Access helps students with disabilities such as autism remain on task and focused on content
- The new panorama feature for iPhone and iPod touch lets you capture everything from a momentous family reunion photo to a sweeping vista
- iOS 6 and iCloud now offer Lost Mode, making it even easier to use Find My iPhone to locate and protect a missing device
iOS is compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation), iPad 2, and the new iPad
To upgrade visit your Settings app on your iOS device. Navigate to General options and Software Update and you’ll be ready to try out the next generation operating system!
The company also released OS X 10.8.2, an update for Mountain Lion. The new updates brings in the much awaited Facebook integration as well as fixes the battery life issues that Mountain Lion has been plagued with.