Considering the numerous threats that we are subject to online ranging from viruses and trojans to computer hijacking, security software has become a part and parcel of our daily life, be it the inbuilt Windows Firewall or more expensive paid solutions for antivirus software or anti-spyware software.
I stumbled across DriveSentry the other day. DriveSentry is a free data protection software for Windows XP and Windows Vista.
Drive Sentry boasts of the following features:
- Security 2.0 Antivirus and Antispyware protection
- Monitors and logs all program access
- Unobtrusive data security
- Protects your system and personal data
- Protection from Zeroday threats
- Tri-Security malware protection
- Protection from known and unknown threats
- Innovative whitelisting technology
- Scan your system for over 1 million viruses
- Realtime program advice from DriveSentry Advisor Community
- Automatically blocks and quarantines malicious programs
Drive Sentry is released under a free license, however, it has a certain number of limitations.
The main one being what they refer to as TrickleFeed, which is primarily the automatic updates of the threat database. This requires you to upgrade. If you don’t upgrade, you will be alerted of available updates and you will have to update the same manually.