However, if you’re an exclusive Gmail user or is your main email account, like many people I know, you might want to consider the official Gmail app from Google.
The latest version of the app includes:
- Notification Center support with Banners, alerts and lock screen notification options
- “Send-as”: Alternate sender support, if configured within Gmail
- Persistent logins so that you don’t need to keep logging in at very frequent intervals
For those who have Gmail as their main email account, a good idea is to configure Gmail to allow you to fetch email from your other accounts and / or send email from a different address.
This is even more powerful if, like me, you use Google Apps for your email and have several different domains configured under the same email address.
The new Gmail App gives you the option to send email as a different user and you can configure this fairly easily.
1. Firstly follow the instructions in Gmail’s help to send mail from a different address.
2. Download the offical Gmail app from the App store. This is available for the iPod and iPad.
3. Now, when you compose an email, you will see a From: option when composing new messages in the app.